Father's Day would not be complete without a delicious cake to make the Daddy in your family feel extra special! Verity O'Gorman of Unhampered has conjured up this delicious, male-centric chocolate Guinness cake, perfect for Father's Day celebrations!
FOR THE CAKE
1. Preheat the oven to 170C and line a deep 9 inch cake tin with baking parchment.
2. Pour the Guinness into a saucepan, add the butter and melt over a low heat.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the cocoa powder and sugar.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together the eggs, vanilla and buttermilk by hand and then add this to the warm mixture in the pan.
5. Sift the remaining ingredients into a large bowl and then pour in the liquid mixture, whisking constantly using a hand held electric whisk set on a low speed. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure the mixture is evenly combined and continue to whisk until it is all thoroughly incorporated.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle, comes out clean.
7. When cool, turn out onto a wire rack and wait until it is completely cold before frosting.
FOR THE FROSTING
1. Using the electric whisk, mix the butter and icing sugar together until there are no lumps and it is sandy in appearance.
2. Add the cream cheese and mix on a low speed until thoroughly combined and the frosting is light and fluffy.
3. Ice the cake liberally on the top and sides with frosting and dust with cocoa powder to finish.
About the Author
Educate’s own Verity O’Gorman is an Educate Private tutor as well as co-founder of the delicious new baking and preserve company, Unhampered. With expertise ranging from cupcakes of all flavours, shapes and sizes to jams, jellies, chutneys and cordials, Verity is a true culinary prodigy.
T: 07967 216042 E: firstname.lastname@example.org